Saturday, July 26, 2008

Prop and Shaft Damage - Update

Well, the bad news on our running aground in the Trent-Severn Waterway channel is that the boat will have to be hauled (a term for taking it out of the water with a big lift) and remove the shaft which was also bent in addition to the port prop damage. We are in Fenelon Falls today, a bustling little riverside community, on our way to Lake Simcoe where the boat will be hauled. I will have pictures on the next post so you can see what the boat looks like out of the water.

I keep thinking what I would have done differently to avoid this. The answer is nothing, since we were inside the channel when it occurred. So we are accepting it as is. I'm not a person that generally believes in good luck or bad luck, but this seems to qualify on the bad luck side.

I've sent an email to the folks in charge of the canal system to see if we can get some consideration for their error in not properly marking the channel. However, I'm not holding my breath.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

what a bummer dad! Are there other boaters that suffered the same ordeal? maybe some compensation is in the future??!

Jamie Willow said...

maybe there is someone there whose story you are supposed to hear and retell. It could be a God detour. Keep your eyes open! you just never know....