Thursday, May 8, 2008

Greetings from Marlene in Georgia


After 5 weeks cruising all the way around Florida, we have arrived in Georgia. If you wondered, now you know why this trip is going to take 9+ months to complete 6000 miles! Tomorrow we reach Savannah and will stay a few days. I’ve never been there and am really looking forward to it.

We’re 36 days into this trip, and I must say, we’re doing quite well! I think it really helps to have separate baths, showers and closets at opposite ends of the boat. Plus, the Captain has to be really nice to me because he needs my help every day with getting us into and out of Marinas and Anchorages and steering the boat while he tries to find out where we are. We’re having fun! (I read 11 books in April!)

Last weekend was so great because we had Kyle and Josie with us! Ask them how crowded it was in the V-Berth! It’s a good thing Josie was short. Hopefully, we’ll get to see all of our kids in the next few months.

Madison is out on a bike ride just now and after he checks out the area, I may take my bike out again. All of my cuts and bruises have healed after my fall into the Bougainvilleas on my first time out! I did really well on the empty, open parking lot, but not so great when I had to maneuver myself on narrow sidewalks where there are people! I became acutely aware that I hadn’t ridden a bike for 50 years. Yikes! - At just this point in my writing, Madison came in and said it was beautiful outside and he wanted me to go for a bike ride with him, so I did. And, I didn’t even fall. There were no people or cars around, just rural Georgia. I look terrible in my helmet, but it does have Hawaiian flowers on it!

Now we’ve had a salmon and baked potato dinner which isn’t so bad for on a boat. Tomorrow night we’re going out to eat in Savannah!

Thank you to everyone who has written and said they’re praying for us. We greatly appreciate it as we continue on this journey.


3 comments:

acarolyns said...

Marlene,
I love your helmet. You are a real trouper! How great to read so many books..Enjoy..We love reading your blogs and the pictures are great. We are in SNA. Mom was here yesterday. Have a Happy Mother's Day!!

Lisa Groves said...

Good for you mom! You look fantastic! I think you should share some of the books you read. I would love to read some reviews. I'm looking for summer reading!
Josie showed us the "tour" of the boat. Yes, it's a good thing she is small for the bed! Great shells for show and tell as well! Love you-
Lisa
(i think Maddie set up an account awhile ago so it says this is from her, just fyi)

Mark & Kathy said...

Hello Madison & Marlene,

We have been traveling along with you as we watch you blogsite daily. We feel like we are getting to take this journey with you. Thanks for sharing.

Your group misses you but we continue to meet and pray daily for your safe passage. We are all interested to here about some of the interviews from Madison.

Kathy and I are well but Kathy has been laid up for a few weeks. She had some redo surgery on her right foot from a surgery about a year ago that was not successful. Hopefully this time it will turn out better. I have been trying my best to keep her tied down but you know Kathy, she doesn't sit still very well. We are head back to the sunshine state for a few days in a couple weeks again. It will be nice to get into some heat again as it hasn't really warmed here yet.

We'll keep watching. We love and miss you guys.

Mark & Kathy