Friday, April 11, 2008

More Technical Stuff about the boat

Following is a Q&A from my good friend Loren Jones from Prior Lake about the boat. Thought you might want to know the answers as well.

Loren says: "I keep thinking about your boat, which leads to a few questions.........

You mentioned it has twin diesel V8s. I assume it's a twin screw, too? Yes. Each prop has 4 blades and is 28" in diameter

Do you always have to run both engines, or can you cruise along slowly on one? I could run on one, but there is little difference in economy. Also, the transmission on the idled engine could be damaged if the shaft turns without being lubricated by engine pumped water circulation. For example, if I lost one engine and had to go several miles, I'd need to lock the shaft to keep it from turning.

What is your typical cruising speed? Between 8 and 9.5 knots. Again, for economy, this boat runs best at "hull speed" The formula is the square root of the length of the boat at the water line times 1.33. In my case that is about 8.5 knots.

What's a typical fuel flow rate for your typical cruising speeds? Not sure yet. The tanks hold 600 gallons so I haven't refueled yet. My hope is to get between 1.5 and 2 MPG.

No comments: