Saturday, October 11, 2008

This is a remote stretch of the Loop

Even though we passed by St. Louis, there were no marinas there or places to even drop anchor. So we stopped about 20 miles south of St. Louis at a marina called Hoppies -- not a first class facilty to say the least, but lots of character in the owners and their family members who run the place. Every day the owner (Fern) gathers all the captains and their first mates to a meeting place on the dock to talk about the journey ahead. She is an expert on this part of the Mississippi River so we were all attentive as Fern described the hazards we need to watch out to get to our next major destination of Green Turtle Bay in Barkley Lake.For about 300 miles ahead, there are no marinas or even places to get fuel or water.

Tonight, we are just south of Cape Girardeau, Mo. in a small canal off the main channel of the river. Tomorrow we finish the Mississippi River and turn up the Ohio River for about 60 miles. Then on to the Cumberland River to Lake Barkley.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Son and Marlene, Jeanette read me some bloggs today and it is very interesting. I love you and hope you are having a good time.
I am feeling better and going back to my place today.
Be careful I love you both very much.
Mother

Team Hasselhoff said...

Mom and Dad,

It has been a while since I have posted, but I check in on your travels when I can! I'm sure we are criss-crossing over you multiple times as we travel through the midwest! Don't worry, we will not dump anything on a bridge, just in case : ) We have a couple of days off in Nashville, and will spend the day tomorrow at Mammoth National Park which features the longest cave system in the world. I can't believe that stretch of the river is so desolate! That is the part I was most interested in, since it is Mark Twain country, but it sounds like you are almost out of Missouri!

The kids send their love.. Ruby has been sick, but a Pediatrician came to our last show and helped us get her some antibiotics for an ear infection, and she is doing much better.

love you so much!
Sara

Anonymous said...

Hi Madison and Marlene,
I've enjoyed reading about your travel adventures and was delighted to read you were by Cape Girardeau, Missouri! Karlee will attend Southeast Missouri State in the Cape next fall and play volleyball for the Redhawks! Cora