Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Up the Chesapeake toward Annapolis





As we cast off to head out into the Chesapeake Bay, we were soon greeted with dense fog. This happens when the hot sun meets the cold water in the bay. I was ready to turn around and wait for it to lift. But the admiral said let's keep going -- so we did. Not being able to see in front or back, I sounded my horn every few minutes to warn other approaching craft, hoping they had their radar on and working since mine is at the lower helm and I preferred to stay on top to look and listen. This is when the GPS becomes worth it's weight in gold. As you can see on the top view, I set the course for a waypoint and activated the autopilot to go to that point. We did. Slowly the fog began to lift and we arrived in Solomons, MD for a stopover about half way to Annapolis.

No comments: