Thursday, November 27, 2008

Happy Thanksgiving - we made it to Tarpon Springs

Number One on our list of things to be thankful for is our wonderful family. Today, Sara, Troy, Kirby, Toby, and Ruby are hosting the Thanksgiving spread in their home and have invited Kyle, Lisa, Maddie, Jack, and Josie; Rory and Becca; and Papa Frick. We are so blessed to think about all of them together today; laughing, eating, dozing, watching football. We are so looking forward to being with them again at our home on New Years Day!



The second leg of our trip across the Gulf to here was a long one - 12 hours from Steinhatchee to Tarpon Springs. We covered well over 100 miles but had good weather and seas, but not without some "excitement." We started out in the dark for about an hour because we knew we didn't want to arrive in Tarpon Springs in the dark. Why? There are crab pots everywhere to get caught in your propellers or rudders. So you need light to be able to see them and steer clear of them.



On our way about an hour out to sea, I noticed my starboard engine was running a little hotter than normal. With that, I decided to shut it down to check the coolant level. It was low so I filled it up. Then, when I went to start it - it clicked but wouldn't start. I began to think the starboard battery must have gone out since I used the radar all day previously and I did notice earlier that the amp meter was charging more than the other one. So I pulled out the jumper cables to see if the generator battery would jump start the engine. Nothing. Must be a bad cell on the big engine battery. The Admiral started praying. She does that on everything. I usually exhaust all options and then pray. I reluctantly decided we had to turn back and limp in to Steinhatchee on one engine and buy a new battery. Then Marlene said: Is there something on these gears that needs to be done? Then it hit me: I forgot to put the gear in neutral before starting it. So I put it in neutral and presto! the engine roared to life! She said thank you Jesus! I did too!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nicely done, Marlene! :)