Saturday, August 9, 2008

Trenton Robert Frick: Nov. 7, 1973 to August 9, 2008


This blog is about our journey, yes. But it's also about how our lives are impacted during it. So it is with great sadness that we report that our nephew passed from this earth to Heaven this morning. Here are some of my thoughts at this time


Life doesn’t stack up to my perception of fair. If it did, Trent would still be here and I would be gone. A lot of us are asking the question right now, why am I still here? If a guy so energetic for the Lord and his vocation can be taken out of the picture, what did God have in mind? Is this some type of cruel joke?

Let me be quick to say the answer is no. Rather, we live life in these earthly bodies which are subject to all of the diseases which entered the human race with the Fall of man. Some of us have been fortunate to miss the onslaught of dread diseases like cancer. Some of us got it and are doing everything possible to keep ahead of it. The reality of it is that no one is immune. And yes, God can heal people from their diseases and has. And I will be talking to God about Trent when I get to Heaven- because this is a hard one for me. But this I know: Trent fulfilled his calling with excellence and is in Heaven with his Maker. You can know that for certain!

When the news came to me about 4 years ago that Trent had been diagnosed, I called him so we could have lunch. We ate at a TGIFridays in the Block E development in downtown Minneapolis. The news was a shock, and we all didn’t want to accept the fact that something like this was intruding into the life of a man with so much going for him.

Trent was an architect and a very good one. He had both undergraduate and graduate degrees in his field from the University of Minnesota. I remember when he took an interest in architectural things early on. And, as it turned out, I was able to get him a position at one of my clients, Ellerbe Becket. This was by far the largest architectural engineering firm in the Midwest and ranked about 8th nationally. He went on to become a staff architect and was granted access to some of the most prominent opportunities in the world, including the early developments in Dubai, which as you know will have the world’s tallest building this year. Trent went on to pursue his interests in an area not a strength of Ellerbe – that of libraries and churches. He spent a lot of time in Europe expressly to visit some of the great churches and libraries there. And on that topic, he wrote a letter to the editor of the Star Tribune about the selection of the architect of the new Main Library in downtown Minneapolis. He had visions for that library which far exceeded the City Council’s own vision. Seems they selected a firm he felt wasn’t up to the potential of a great city like Minneapolis.

Another conversation I had with him several years ago was on the topic of city design and how the cities of Minneapolis and St. Paul came into being. His view of things like this was way beyond me but I was so impressed with his excitement about his work.

One structure I visited that Trent played a major role in is the school and community center near 50th and Minnehaha in Minneapolis. He was especially proud of that building as I recall.

So not only was Trent a model for others to follow as a follower of Christ, but his work ethic and expertise in his chosen field were of top caliber as well. His devotion to Cathy, his bride of 5 years was also a model of how a husband can and should be. Trent loved his parents dearly. They were so pleased with him in so many ways. Trent had one brother Todd. In an email he just sent to me, Todd said:

“Trent was an amazing brother. I had the chance to write a personal note a couple weeks ago letting him know what he meant to me. How I admired him and loved him. I know we all did.”

Trent’s life was a life of excellence for the Lord, excellence as a husband, excellence as a family member and excellence in his work.

So this is a challenge to all of us, no matter where we may be in our stage of life. My message to you is this: Be excellent for Trent. Let the spirit of this Godly man who showed us how to live life become a part of us. He didn’t get to finish what he planned on this earth. I can only imagine what God will have him doing in the New Earth. Trent’s memory can live on through each of us in our lives. In our work, in our family, in our dedication to the Lord. Be excellent for Trent.


With that, we are now on our way to Denver to be with Trent's wife and family. Will talk again in a few days.




7 comments:

Team Hasselhoff said...

Thanks Dad. Well put. I will take your message of being excellent for Trent in my days ahead. Love you, troy

Unknown said...

That describes Trent well. Trent and I were roommates for many years in MSP at a house we called "The Guys house" he was like a brother to me and inspiration to continue to seek a deeper relationship with the Lord. I'd greatly miss him while on this earth, but looking forward to join in heaven when the Lord calls me home or He comes back. Trent was a man that God used to show more of his Glory in many ways. I pray for Cathy and Trent's family that they will find comfort and peace in Jesus.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for writing and posting about Trent. I feel deeply sad to hear this news. My husband and I were classmates with Trent in Architecture school. Trent was one of the kindess people we knew. He was bright and always optimistic. We will always remember him and his inspirational words, which came to him with such ease and grace. Wishing you comfort and peace during this time. With love, Dimple,Jon and AshaRiyah.

acarolyns said...

Thanks so much for yur comments about Trent. You have echoed our sentiments in so many ways. We didn't have the opportunity to get to know him well but we are deeply moved by this loss of God's best. We pray for you, Marlene and all of the family that God will sustain you through this difficult time.
Love you, Carolyn and Jon

Shell in your Pocket said...

I just received an email from an old childhood friend that Trent passed..I went to elementary with Trent in Northville, Michigan. Our family is praying for you and your family!

Anonymous said...

I am just a stranger looking into someday doing the great loop. I am traveling along your blog right now and enjoying it fully. I am saddened to hear of your loss. I am not a religious person (although I was born Catholic)I was compelled to say a short prayer for you and your family. Your family is inspiring

Future looper

Anonymous said...

Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!